Facing Jerusalem

Facing Jerusalem

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"God" is not His Name.

I want to relate to God in the respectful way He deserves. Regrettably, I have not always been a model child of God. Now, in digging up Christianity's Hebraic roots, I long to "get it right." If I stumble, God will at least appreciate my efforts, and I know that His Son "got it right" for me a long time ago, so this isn't about earning Heaven by passing some kind of Theology test.. That said, I wondered what to call my Creator. Does He have a name? Why do some people write G_d or G-d, or even Gd for His name? Is that what I'm supposed to do too? Digging away at those Hebraic roots, I find that God, indeed, does have a name, and guess what ---- His name is NOT "God". He IS a god, and He is the one true God, but that is not "His name". I am a woman, but "woman" is not what people call me, that is not my name. Hebrew sages thought His Name too holy to speak and wanted to suppress it, and some scholars say that is why the confusion about what to call Him, and why we have the spelling that leaves out letters, such as G_d. But in the third chapter of Exodus, the smoke clears a bit at the burning bush:
13 Then Moses said to God, "Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I shall say to them, `The God of your fathers has sent me to you.' Now they may say to me, `What is His name?' What shall I say to them?"
14 And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, `I AM has sent me to you.' And God, furthermore, said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, `The Lord, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.
This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations."
This is how God's Name looks when written in Hebrew: The pronunciation of the English transliteration is Yahweh, shortened to the letters YHWH , and it sounds like this: YAW way. Proper meaning: " He who is the self-existent One, Who is ever becoming what He is". So, now I know that He wants us to know His Name - He put it in the Old Testament almost 7,000 times. If I tell you my name 7,000 times, you better believe that's the name I want you to call me.! Actually I would probably never have the patience to tell you my name more than a few hundred times! Yahweh...spoken softly as you exhale it sounds like a prayer in itself, go ahead, try it. ....... Shalom (sha LOAM)....