Facing Jerusalem

Facing Jerusalem

Monday, January 17, 2011

The "Law" is a Biblical term for the first five books of the Bible, also called the Books of Moses, and collectively called the Torah. Torah means "instruction". God's intention for giving me the Torah was not to hold me back or make me a slave to His LAW, but to instruct me in holiness. Exodus 24:12 - "the law....which I have written for their instruction." For over 1,400 years, from Moses to Jesus (Yeshua), the Torah was the standard of godliness for His chosen people. The Torah is God's rulebook and if I do not know it, study it, or apply it, I am playing by some other rules, not God's. I can claim to be a good Christian, but if I am ignorant and - through my neglect - disrespecting the Torah, I am not applying Biblical Christianity to my life. Through the years, while in the professional ministry, many people have told my husband and me "well, I'm just not a reader, so that's why I don't read the Bible." However, we should all take responsibility to study the Scriptures, ask questions, learn, and grow. It is not Spiritually healthy to take anyone's word for our beliefs, it falls upon all of us to take personal interest in our beliefs and Spiritual growth. The lazy way, ( the way which will gain us no rewards), is to take on faith what a priest, pope, preacher, or rabbi says without searching the truth out for ourselves. Many many copies of God's Word can be had practically for pennies, in modern easy-to-read translations. There are no excuses for not knowing the instruction of God. This, of course, includes the study of the Torah. Knowing the Torah is to know the full Biblical heritage of the Christian, to make us better disciples of the Jewish Messiah. The Torah is the foundation of the Bible, yet woefully neglected by Christians, to their great disadvantage. Nothing in the New Testament cancels the Torah. The Torah reveals God's wisdom and His will. Even before I knew the first five books were called the Torah, I would read and study these books knowing that in them I would get to know God intimately. They became the books I studied more than any other in the Bible, and became my Theological foundation. As a Roman Catholic and later as an Evangelical Christian I would say to myself "why don't we get into these books more deeply in Bible studies and pulpit messages?" I knew we were missing something very very important. I will be bold here and state that to know Torah is to truly know God. His mind, His will, and indeed, His Son.