Facing Jerusalem

Facing Jerusalem

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Should I call Him Jesus?

Well, yesterday I had the nerve to tell you what I have unearthed about God's real Name as I'm digging up these Hebraic roots of Christianity. He is Yahweh, most commonly pronounced in English as YAW way, though, since in the Hebrew the emphasis is usually on the last syllable, some people pronounce His Name yaw WAY. It is just my personal belief - and I am not a Theology Ph.D. or anything impressive --- but I believe that, even if we don't get it 100% correct, that God appreciates our efforts. The Bible tells us He looks upon our hearts, so He certainly knows our intentions. So, some of us who love Him will call Him God, YAW way,or yaw WAY. In our society, the most common is, of course, "God", so I will use that Name to keep things simple, though, after studying this topic, I strongly prefer to refer to Him as Yahweh, with the emphasis on the first syllable - YAW way, and often spelled YHWH. But, what about His Son? Is His Name really Jesus? I have concluded that the answer to that is yes, and no. The English form Jesus is derived from, and can be traced back to, the New Testament Greek name Ihsouß, pronounced "Yesous" which is of Hebrew origin. But why use a Greek name derived from the Hebrew, when we can just use the Hebrew name itself? It kind of cuts out the middle man so to speak, or save us a step. The Hebrew name would then be Yeshua -- pronounced yea SHOO a. Digging up Hebraic roots of Christianity has infected me with a compulsion to learn details correctly. There are varying opinions as to the absolute correct Names for "God" and "Jesus", - as I've read, "wherever two Jews are gathered there will be three opinions" and I've discovered that the same holds true for Messianic Believers of both Jewish and Gentile descent. However, as for me, I've landed on the spot marked "Yahweh" for God and "Yeshua" for Jesus. You don't have to know Greek and Hebrew to be Spiritual, and God is not confused by our prayers if we mispronounce something. I just like to know these things, don't you? I think its evidence of a good attitude to say "If there's a more correct word, way, or wisdom, then I want to know it !"
Tomorrow (Friday) evening at sundown Shabbat (Sha BOT) begins. Until then I pray that Yahweh will bless us all, in Yeshua's Name, Amen ....... Shalom.